Recently, I’ve had many people ask me about CBD oil and hemp oil and specifically, what are the health benefits of both? Surprisingly, the questions have come from clients and an Oncologist. To find the answers, I recently went to California and Houston to meet with doctors and scientist who have been studying it.
I know many people are wondering about the health benefits of cannabinoid oil, also known as hemp oil or CBD oil. They are also wondering if it’s legal to purchase or if it is going to have negative drug side effects.
In this article, I will try to expand on the studies being done on CBD/hemp oil and the researched health benefits, legal status and a product I have found to be the most effective.
In clinical trials the oil from the cannabis plant, also known as CBD oil has been shown to have these benefits:
- Anti-inflammatory activity.
- Blocking tumor growth.
- Preventing the growth of blood vessels that supply tumors.
- Antiviral activity.
- Relieving muscle spasms caused by multiple sclerosis.
The use of Cannabis for medicinal purposes dates back at least 3,000 years. It was used in Western medicine until the 20th century and was said to relieve pain, inflammation, spasms, and convulsions.
There are many theories on why it was made illegal, but if you really look into it, and follow the money trail, you will find that the ones who wanted it illegal were benefiting financially.
They simply didn’t want the competition from such an incredibly healthful and economically beneficial plant.
Hemp rope, hemp paper, hemp fabric, Omega 3’s (essential fatty acids), high-quality plant-protein, etc. are just a few of the environmentally sustainable characteristics of this plant that is easily grown and has been used for many products for centuries throughout the world.
In fact, the lumber industry and the synthetic rope industry were two of the leading industries that lead the way to making the hemp plant made illegal, so they could eliminate their competition for paper and rope materials.
Du Pont Chemical Company had its hands in a lot of scandals, including the one to promote tetraethyl lead anti-knock fuel additive over the much safer alcohol additive option.
Much of the 3rd world is still suffering from this successful “partnership” of Dupont with Standard Oil (now Exxon) and GM.” (1)
These laws and programs outlawing environmentally friendly hemp in favor of timber for making paper, etc. has done incredible harm to the nation’s (world’s) forests and the Eco-system. “Logging increases fire… Logging has increased fire severity more than any other human activity. This is common sense. After all, logging removes the large trees that are most fire resistant.” (2)
“The effects of CBD in the body are broad and far-reaching. Thus far, the cannabinoid is known to also directly or indirectly affect the following:
- Vanilloid receptors (important for pain modulation)
- Adenosine receptors (important for the sleep-wake cycle)
- Serotonin receptors (important for mood and stress management)
Some rodent studies suggest that CBD may also work by blocking a particular fatty acid known as fatty-acid amide hydrolase (FAAH). The enzyme that’s responsible for breaking down the naturally occurring endocannabinoid anandamide in your body. Anandamide is also known as the “bliss molecule” or the human THC. It helps regulate basic functions like pleasure and reward, appetite, ovulation, memory, sleep, and pain.” (3)
“Pre-clinical studies of cannabinoids have investigated the following activities: Anti-tumor activity
- Studies in mice and rats have shown that cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.
- A study in mice showed that cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.
- A laboratory study of delta-9-THC in hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) cells showed that it damaged or killed the cancer cells. The same study of delta-9-THC in mouse models of liver cancer showed that it had antitumor effects. Delta-9-THC has been shown to cause these effects by acting on molecules that may also be found in non-small cell lung cancer cells and breast cancer cells.
- A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.
- A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in human glioma cells showed that when given along with chemotherapy, CBD may make chemotherapy more effective and increase cancer cell death without harming normal cells. Studies in mouse models of cancer showed that CBD together with delta-9-THC may make chemotherapy such as temozolomide more effective.” (4)
Recently, Dec. 15, 2017, the World Health Organization came out with an announcement:
The WHO’s Expert Committee on Drug Dependence focused on cannabidiol, or CBD, one of the naturally occurring cannabinoids found in cannabis plants.
Hemp (CBD) Oil
A hemp/ CBD oil I have found and personally use is approved by all US states and by all US government regulatory agencies.
This one utilizes a unique liposomal delivery system, which dramatically improves the bioavailability of the oil.
This particular one is Nano Enhanced Hemp Oil is the industry-leading phospholipid encapsulation system – providing rapid uptake and unparalleled bioavailability.
The product is a Dietary Supplement and contains hemp extract derived from the stalks and stems of the mature industrial hemp plant, which delivers healthful benefits, without having the psychoactive or “high” effect associated with this type of botanical.
100% Hemp Extract
Suggested Use: Take 1–4 pumps by mouth, holding for 30 seconds before swallowing.
Best taken on an empty stomach 10 minutes before meals and can be stirred into a small amount of water.
Once opened, use within 60 days. Store at room temperature, away from light.
The science behind oil being extracted is proving to be so effective and it’s based on the Human Endocannabinoid System.
This elaborate network is part of our immune system and when it is activated by taking phyto cannabinoid diols, humans (and animals) have better ability to fight, resist, and assist in repairing the mind and body.
The CB1 receptors are primarily located on nerve cells in the brain, spinal cord, but they are also found in some peripheral organs and tissues such as the spleen, white blood cells, endocrine gland and parts of the reproductive, gastrointestinal and urinary tracts.
“In the brain, the CB1 receptors are abundant in the cerebellum, basal ganglia, hippocampus and dorsal primary afferent spinal cord regions, which is why cannabinoids influence functions such as memory processing, physical discomfort and motor control.” (6)
“The CB2 receptors are mainly found on white blood cells, in the tonsils and in the spleen. The immune cells also express CB1, although there are fewer of them than CB2. In the immune system, one important function of the cannabinoid receptors is the regulation of cytokine release.” (7)
This particular oil is Up to 10xs more absorbable than other oils.
“Liposomal delivery brings the power of intravenous therapy into convenient oral delivery. Typical absorption of Phytocannabinoid Diol oil is poor, with only about 10% uptake in the GI tract. Liposomal encapsulation of compounds similar to Phytocannabinoid Diol have been shown to increase absorption five to tenfold. Our high-grade LIPOSOMAL Phytocannabinoid Diol outperforms other products thanks to smaller, more stable, single-layer spheres made from the highest-grade ingredients available.” (8)
In conclusion, many clinical studies have shown that CBD benefits include anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsant, anti-oxidant, and anti-psychotic properties. There are encouraging trials with CBD oil being used as medicine for the treatment of neuroinflammation, epilepsy, oxidative stress, nausea, anxiety and schizophrenia.
People also ask me why this company calls their Hemp oil, hemp oil and not CBD oil. What I understand is that a pharmaceutical company has developed a synthetic version of CBD oil and is getting the “CBD” trademarked and patented, so the government is shutting down any company that is using the “CBD” name. So beware of synthetic “CBD” oil being marketed.
Contact me, if you have any questions.
Prime My Body utilizes a unique liposomal delivery system, which improves the bioavailability of the oil. Their product is a Dietary Supplement and contains hemp extract derived from the stalks and stems of the mature industrial hemp plant, which delivers healthful benefits, without having the psychoactive or “high” effect associated with this type of botanical.
100% Hemp Extract is grown organically in Colorado.
It’s been approved by all federal government regulatory agencies.
It is legal to be sold in all US states.
If you order it and purchase it with an auto ship, it will save you about $30.
Source for that study and link: Pisanti, Simona & Malfitano, Anna Maria & Ciaglia, Elena & Lamberti, Anna & Ranieri, Roberta & Cuomo, Gaia & Abate, Mario & Faggiana, Giorgio & Chiara Proto, Maria & Fiore, Donatella & Laezza, Chiara & Bifulco, Maurizio. (2017). Cannabidiol: State of the art and new challenges for therapeutic applications. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 10.1016/j.pharmthera.2017.02.041.
Sources for article:
(6 & 7) Progress in Lipid Research, P. Pacher, R. Mechoulam; 2011
Other sources you may find helpful:
- Adams IB, Martin BR: Cannabis: pharmacology and toxicology in animals and humans. Addiction 91 (11): 1585-614, 1996. [PubMed]
- Abrams DI: Integrating cannabis into clinical cancer care. Curr Oncol 23 (2): S8-S14, 2016. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Doblin RE, Kleiman MA: Marijuana as antiemetic medicine: a survey of oncologists’ experiences and attitudes. J Clin Oncol 9 (7): 1314-9, 1991. [PubMed]
- Sallan SE, Cronin C, Zelen M, et al.: Antiemetics in patients receiving chemotherapy for cancer: a randomized comparison of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and prochlorperazine. N Engl J Med 302 (3): 135-8, 1980. 80077945. [PubMed]
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0032740/6. World Health Organization: Cannabidiol (CBD) Pre-Review Report, Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Thirty-ninth Meeting, Geneva, Switzerland, Nov. 6-10, 2017.7. Scott Chipman, Southern California chairman, Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana (CALM).8. Justin Strekal, political director, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML).Governing: “State Marijuana Laws in 2017 Map.”9. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine: “Nearly 100 Conclusions on the Health Effects of Marijuana and Cannabis-Derived Products Presented in New Report; One of the Most Comprehensive Studies of Recent Research on Health Effects of Recreational and Therapeutic Use of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products.
Contact Nancy@nancyaddison.com if you have any questions.
I am not making any health claims about this oil or product, but providing you with research and links, so you can read further on this subject and come up with your own conclusions.
For more information go to www.organichealthylife.com or find Nancy Addison’s award-winning books on Amazon. Click here for the link.
The information from Nancy Addison and Organic Healthy Lifestyle LLC is not offered for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of any disease or disorder nor have any statements herein been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). We strongly encourage you to discuss topics of concern with your health care provider.
Medical Disclaimer: Information provided in this email, article, book, podcast, website, email, etc. is for informational purposes only. The information is a result of years of practice and experience by Nancy Addison CHC, AADP. However, this information is NOT intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional, or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging.